Cleaning with Eco-Style
We know that a good equipment and good supplies are important to perform the best cleaning job. Cleaning should be a breeze if you know how to clean properly each area of your home with the proper tools for each task.
These are our top 7 recommendations for your home cleaning routine:
A really good vacuum with durable attachments for upholstery, corners, etc. The gold rule for any cleaning is to vacuum your place really well, I mean…moving tables, chairs, sofa, bed (if possible), shoes, rugs and anything that you are able to lift or push. Dust is our worst enemy and makes our indoor air heavier, causing allergies and discomfort. As professionals, we suggest investing in the best vacuum with HEPA filter that you can purchase and please take care of your equipment because there’s nothing more frustrating that having a broken vacuum that doesn’t do the job.
Note: Go for a bagless vacuum, so you will never run again from bags! (true story).
2. Swiffer Mop & Duster | Broom+Dustpan
We recommend getting any kind of Swiffer instead of a mop. Why? Simply because mops are dirtier and with a Swiffer, you can use washable microfiber cloths every time you want to mop. We are also big fans of the Swiffer Duster because it’s the only one that really traps the dust. About the broom, even though you have a vacuum, there are places where the broom can reach way better (like the sides of the refrigerator, under the bed or sofa).
3. microfiber cloths and Paper towels
Microfiber cloths are the best for mopping and wiping any surface! They are reusable because you can wash and dry them after each cleaning. We suggest you to buy the colored ones and assign each color for a specific task, for example, blue for floors, yellow for bathrooms and green for the kitchen. For the paper towels, we suggest buying any eco-friendly brand. You will need the paper towel to clean glass surfaces and mirrors. You can use them also to clean the toilet, so your microfiber cloths won’t get contaminated.
4. Scrubbing tools
A set of Cleaning Brushes or cheap teeth brushes are the best for scrubbing grout, corners and between the faucet’s handles. For sponges, we suggest getting some eco-friendly double sided (the brown ones) and you can always have a few scouring pads to clean a greasy stovetop or oven.
5. Garbage and Recycle Bags
Reuse your grocery bags for the recycle and bathroom bins. For the kitchen garbage, get some tough bags to contain the odors. Don’t forget to place Baking Soda on the bottom of your bin.
6. Cleaning Solutions
You can clean your home with just a few basic eco-friendly products. We started our operations buying professional store products, but sometimes they didn’t perform as expected and we wanted to leave a signature scent on our client’s homes. So, we decided to create our own cleaning products and they are the best thing that happened to us! They are awesome and super safe for people with allergies, children, and pets. We know that you probably don’t have the time to order some of the ingredients to specialized stores, so we can recommend you some of the basics for your homemade green cleaning:
- Castile Soap + Water = The best cleaner for your granite, marble and quartz counters. Also, great cleaner for stone, wood furniture, and floors.
- Distilled White Vinegar + Water + Alcohol = Better than Windex for your windows and chrome faucets, shower and accessories, 100% streak free.
- Distilled White Vinegar + Water = Cleans and disinfects the dirtiest tile floor
- Distilled White Vinegar + Baking Soda = Perfect combination to scrub your grout, toilet, tub or sink (even stainless steel).
- Essential Oils = See the next topic and add some drops to your cleaning mix.
Ps. Don’t panic, the vinegar smell will evaporate in a short time!
Our cleaning solutions are mixed with essential oils that give them strength with their particular properties. Besides that, we place a diffuser with 100% pure Eucalyptus essential Oil while we clean, so the indoor environment smells always fresh. We suggest you to try these 10 Essential Oils with special properties to boost your Cleaning.
- Lemon: Antibacterial, antiviral and degreaser.
- Tea Tree: Fights germs, bacteria, viruses and bugs too.
- Rosemary: Antibacterial and antiseptic.
- Orange: Degreaser.
- Lavender: Antibacterial.
- Eucalyptus: Germicide and powerful dust mite buster.
- Peppermint: Antibacterial.
- Cinnamon Leaf: Antibacterial, antiseptic and powerful against mold.
- Pine: Kills yeast spores, EColi, and other household germs.
- Thyme: Germicide and very effective against salmonella.
No time to do some research? We got you covered! Here are the links to buy on Amazon some of the products recommended in our post.
Image Credits: Houzz | Natasha Jansz Design